The Edinboro University of Pennsylvania counseling programs provide courses of study leading to a Master of Arts degree in Counseling with emphasis in art therapy, college counseling, clinical mental health counseling, school counseling (PreK-12) and clinical rehabilitation and clinical mental health counseling.
The goal of the MA Counseling programs is to enhance the intellectual, cultural, social and ethical development of its graduate students. The program emphasizes integration of theory, research and practice and seeks to prepare counseling professionals to serve diverse communities and individuals in a variety of human service settings.
The art therapy, clinical mental health counseling, school counseling, and college counseling programs are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs.
School Name: Edinboro University
Program Name: Master of Arts in Counseling
Program Length: Two to three years depending on enrollment status
Enrollment Types: Full-Time or Part-Time
Instruction Methods: Asynchronous
Phone Number: (814) 732-2856
- 60-63 credits
- A degree student may not be admitted to Candidacy until (1) at least 12 semester hours of degree credit have been completed, (2) an Application for Admission to Candidacy has been filed with the advisor, and (3) the student has maintained a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Complete a comprehensive examination
- Capstone Project
- 12-credit internship of 600 hours of on-site experience.
- College Counseling
- School Counseling
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Art Therapy
- Completed online graduate application
- Application Fee: $30
- An official transcript verifying an earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Three letters of reference and contact information to be submitted via online application.
- Writing sample of up to 500 words addressing one of the following topics: Why you chose to be a counselor; or the most important characteristics of a counselor. Please include the following statement at the end of your writing sample: “I, print your name, certify the writing sample I have submitted is my own work, reflecting my own thoughts; that no part is plagiarized, and I did not receive assistance in completing the writing sample.” Must include signature and date.
- An interview is a requirement of the admission process and the applicant will be contacted by the department, once the application is complete.
- February 15th – Fall Semester, late applications considered on a “space available” basis until April 1.
- October 15th – Spring Semester, late applications considered on a “space available” basis until November.
Edinboro University’s program information was last updated in April of 2020. For more information, visit the university's website above.