90 Self-Esteem Resources for Girls
- Self-Esteem Worksheets for Children, Therapist Aid: series of worksheets with prompts for gratitude, self-esteem and other feelings for counselors to use with young clients.
- Free Self-Esteem Resources For Kids, Kiddie Matters: worksheets about self-love and personal boundaries created by Yanique S. Chambers, LCSW, for counselors to use with young clients.
- Encouraging Children To Have Healthy Self-Esteem, Mosswood Connections: activities and mantras that build confidence and promote positive self-image for kids.
- Building Your Child’s Self-Esteem, Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh: tips for parents of young children for encouraging positive identity development and independence.
- How to Empower Young Girls and Build Confidence, Special Ed Resource: ideas and resources about confidence-building for girls with special needs.
- 5 Important Ways to Help Build Self-Esteem In Girls Your Teen Magazine: ideas for teaching young girls about self-love and how to express it.
- How to Build Positive Self-Esteem Understood: slideshow of quick tips for teaching children about self-esteem, including deep dives and next steps for identity development and growth.
- Being Me: A Kid’s Guide to Boosting Confidence and Self-Esteem by Wendy L. Moss, PhD: guided book for kids to explore their strengths and identities.
- I Am Enough by Grace Byers: illustrated story about “loving who you are, respecting others, and being kind to one another.”
- Curlee Girlee by Atara Twersky: illustrated story about a young girl who learns to accept and love the way she looks.
- Books for Smart, Confident, and Courageous Girls A Mighty Girl: catalog of books for girls organized by genre, age and price.
- I Like Myself! by Karen Beaumont: illustrated, rhyming story of a young girl who encourages kids to appreciate themselves.
- Becoming Me: A Work in Progress by Andrea Pippins: interactive journal for girls to creatively visualize and explore their identities.
- Meet Danitra Brown by Nikki Grimes: collection of poems about friendship between two young Black girls who explore self-assurance and pride in their heritage.
- Girls Think of Everything: Stories of Ingenious Inventions by Women by Catherine Thimmesch: stories about innovative women to encourage readers to think creatively in the face of adversity.
- Dancing in the Wings by Debbie Allen: story of a young girl who pursues her dream of becoming a dancer.
- speak up by Miranda Paul: vibrant picture book that encourages kids to be outspoken.
Podcasts and Videos
- Girl Tales—Feminist Stories for a New Generation: fairytales reimagined through an empowering lens.
- Peace Out: short stories that help kids wind down and relax through breathing and mindfulness activities.
- Dream Big: mom-and-daughter duo interview experts, entrepreneurs and award-winners to encourage kids to dream big.
- But Why: podcast led by kids seeking answers to questions about how the world works.
- Fierce Girls: stories about adventurous girls for kids of all ages; parental guidance recommended for listening.
- Molly of Denali: ten-minute episodes that set up the backstory for the PBS cartoon of the same name about an Alaska native growing up with her parents and community.
- Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls: stories about influential women told for young listeners.
- Calm Kids Podcast: stories told by two sisters, ages 8 and 11, to help other young kids fall asleep at night.
- Henry & Leslie (A Children’s Story About Confidence and Self-Love): story for children about self-love and building confidence.
- Building Self-Esteem on Sesame Street’s YouTube channel: video series for kids to learn about appreciating themselves and building confidence.
- HappiMe for Children: promotes self-esteem through the power of positive thinking.
- Breathe, Think, Do With Sesame: resource to help kids and their parents with emotional vocabulary, personalized encouragements and breathing activities.
- Avokiddo Emotions: animal characters embody different emotions to help kids learn about their own feelings.
- Headspace for Kids: guided meditations organized by feelings of calmness, kindness and emotional well-being.
- Confident Girls: workshops, events, after school programs and camps for girls in grades K–5 to learn about positive friendships, self-esteem and leadership.
- Book Club through Girls Leadership: book recommendations and toolkits for starting a book club for young girls.
- Girls Rock Camp Alliance: network of communities to facilitate summer camps for young girls to learn how to play music and build confidence.
- Sole Girls: running programs to empower girls ages 6 to 12.
- REALgirl: workshops to teach girls life skills and self-esteem before they mature and grow into their teen years.
- How Can I Improve My Self-Esteem? (for Teens), Nemours TeensHealth: Explanations and recommendations for teens of where self-esteem comes from and how to build it.
- 18 Self-Esteem Worksheets and Activities for Teens and Adults. Positive Psychology: printable worksheets of exercises for counselors to use with teens.
- Confidence (for Teens), Nemours TeensHealth: explanation of confidence and ideas for building self-esteem.
- Self-Esteem Worksheets for Adolescents, Therapist Aid: downloadable activities for teens to practice gratitude exercises, stress-reduction techniques and more.
- 13 Ways to Boost Your Daughter’s Self-Esteem, Child Mind Institute: 13 ways to encourage tween and teenage girls to build confidence and practice self-love.
- How To Stop the Tween Confidence Drop by Helping Girls Take on Toxic Thinking, A Mighty Girl: article about supporting teen girls with additional resources and book recommendations curated by the organization.
- How To Help Your High-Schooler Handle School Cliques, Understood: ideas for understanding and supporting the unique social circumstances of teen girls.
- Empowering Tween Girls: The Five Super Powers Every Girl Needs, Your Teen Magazine: recommendations from the founder of an educational mentoring service for pre-adolescent girls.
- Five Ways To Help Teens Build a Sense of Self-Worth, Mindful: activities that teens can practice and complete on their own to develop and increase their self-worth.
- 15 Tips To Build Self-Esteem and Confidence in Teens, Big Life Journal: ideas for parents of teens to encourage a growth mindset, including a free printable worksheet.
- Confidence Code for Girls by Katty Kay, Claire Shipman and JillEllyn Riley: guide for tween girls who want to build confidence and fearlessness.
- A Strong Girls’ Guide To Being: Exercises and Inspiration for Becoming a Braver, Kinder, Healthier You by Lani Silversides: part journal, part workbook for teen girls to explore confidence, bravery and kindness.
- The Self-Esteem Workbook for Teens by Lisa M. Schab: activity book for teens to practice self-acceptance and shedding insecurities.
- Love for Imperfect Things by Haemin Sunim: ideas from a Buddhist monk about accepting yourself and your flaws.
- Chocolate for a Teen’s Soul by Kay Allenbaugh: true stories about the challenges and experiences of being a teenager.
- Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven: story of a teen girl navigating grief and body image issues.
- you are enough: a tale of healing and self-love by vp wright: poetry about healing and self-love written by the author to her younger self.
- Well-Read Black Girl by Glory Edim: collection of original essays by Black women writers about the importance of seeing oneself represented in literature.
- Celebrate Your Body (And Its Changes, Too!) The Ultimate Puberty Book for Girls by Sonya Renee Taylor: body-positive guide to puberty for girls ages 8 and up.
- Brave by Sissy Goff MEd, LPC-MHSP: guide to understanding one’s own emotions better, including a companion book for parents of teens.
- The Ultimate Self-Esteem Workbook for Teens: Overcome Insecurity, Defeat Your Inner Critic, and Live Confidently by Megan MacCutcheon, LPC: practical tools, stories and resources for understanding one’s own self-esteem, insecurities and more.
- Badass Black Girl by M.J. Fievre: journal designed for teenage Black girls to explore their creativity, body image, aspirations and more.
- Feeling Better: CBT Workbook for Teens by Rachel Hutt: workbook for cognitive behavioral therapy strategies for overcoming obstacles and addressing mental health.
- A Girl’s Guide to Epic Outdoor Adventures, Girls Leadership & REI: toolkit for girls in grades 5 and up to explore their aspirations and self-expression.
Podcasts and Videos
- Let’s Be Real With Sammy Jae: unfiltered conversations hosted by the youngest person to have an iHeartRadio podcast, at just 18 years old.
- Teen Girl Talk: podcast of two adult siblings who discuss media made for teens and their own life experiences.
- Eleanor Amplified: podcast stories about a daring journalist who goes on adventures looking for her next story.
- How Girls’ Self-Esteem Drops When They Turn 13, The Confidence Project: video about self-esteem featuring girls who were previously interviewed about confidence when they were pre-teens.
- Girls Ages 5–18 Talk About Hair and Self Esteem, Allure: video of girls explaining their connection between self-esteem, body image and hair.
- 3 Tips To Boost Your Confidence, TED-Ed: animated video explaining where confidence comes from and three tips for teens to build self-esteem.
- HappiMe for Young People: app to promote the power of positive thinking and encouragement for teens.
- Pacifica: psychologist-designed app for mindfulness, meditation and mood tracking.
- Stop, Breathe, & Think: app to help young people find peace of mind and develop the emotional well-being to face the challenges of everyday life.
- Unique Daily Affirmations: app that provides daily affirmations for young people to read, say out loud and think about during each day.
- MindShift™ CBT: free exercises for addressing anxiety, nervousness and self-consciousness.
- moodgym: interactive app to help young people boost their mood and keep track of what makes them feel better.
- SuperBetter: app designed for young people to stay optimistic, motivated and resilient.
- Girls With Leadership: summer camps, workshop series and volunteer opportunities for girls in fifth through 12th grade to learn leadership skills.
- Girls Support Group Palantine, New Transitions: group therapy sessions for teen girls to navigate self-esteem, emotional support and conflict-resolution.
- The Butterfly Effect, Enlighten Education: resilience workshops and courses for teen girls to explore self-esteem and understand their impact on their peers.
- Girls GLOW Program: workshops designed by a teacher to empower girls to build confidence and support each other.
- Positive Affirmations for Kids: 189 Positive Things to Say to Your Child, Meraki Lane: list of positive statements to say to children to help boost their confidence and mood.
- Self-Esteem Activity Guide for Youth Leaders, Dove: resources and tips to encourage mindfulness and positivity among young people.
- Self-Esteem: Everything Parents Need To Know, The Center for Parenting Education: guide for parents including basic concepts, history and strategies for encouraging self-esteem.
- How To Praise Children, Understood: explanation of different types of praise and when to use them to encourage growth for children.
- A Mighty Girl: collection of books, toys, movies and music for parents, teachers and others dedicated to raising smart, confident and courageous girls, and there are, of course, resources for girls themselves.
- Sidestep a Confidence Slump: Building Confidence in Tween Girls, Your Teen Magazine: supportive recommendations from a school counselor for any adults that spend time with teen girls.
- Kid Confidence: Help Your Child Make Friends, Build Resilience, and Develop Real Self-Esteem by Eileen Kennedy-Moore: collection of evidence-based recommendations for parenting young children ages 6–12 and encouraging high self-esteem.
- Full of Ourselves: A Wellness Program To Advance Girl Power, Health, and Leadership by Catherine Steiner-Adair and Lisa Sjostrom: health-and-wellness education program designed to address disordered eating and body preoccupation for girls in grades 3 through 8.
- Beyond the Gender Binary by Alok Vaid-Menon: book that explores non-binary genders and the freedom of self-expression.
Podcasts and Videos
- How To Raise Girls’ Self-Esteem, Jodi Aman: video of recommendations from a counselor for parents who want to support their daughters’ body image and self-worth.
- Raising Daughters: podcast for parents of teen and adolescent girls about how to build relationships based in trust instead of fear.
- One Mom. One Girl. Together We Rise.: podcast hosted by a certified parenting coach about raising girls with kindness, resilience and bravery.
Programs and Organizations
- Girl & Grown-up Workshops Girls Leadership: family-based online workshops for parents and daughters to attend together to learn about leadership, confidence and self-esteem.