1. Pursue a Master’s Degree in Counseling
To forge a successful career in counseling , and to receive state licensure or certification, you will first need to earn a master’s degree in counseling. Determining your counseling preference and specialty before application helps to best prepare you for your future career in this rewarding profession. Obtaining your master’s degree in counseling with a state license or certification demonstrates to employers and clients that you are a qualified counselor and are competent within your scope of practice.
Discover the important factors to your online counseling degree with these guides.
- Discover which graduate counseling programs can help you launch your career as there are many counseling specialties and add-on certifications.
- Explore a master’s level education offered online or on campus by CACREP accredited graduate programs.
- Research the counseling curricula and related career pursuits such as therapy, social work and clinical psychology.
- Find out how you can specialize your study and focus on a concentration or specific population you would prefer to work with, i.e. adolescents, geriatric, urban, LGBTQIA, or couples – to name a few.
- Learn about admission requirements, application processes, tuition, financial aid and scholarships.