Addressing Students’ Triggers: Tips for Trauma-Informed Classroom Design
- Yelling or fighting
- People who look similar to a person involved in the traumatic event
- Smells or sounds related to the event
- Physical touch
Mitigating Triggers Through Classroom Design
The School Counselor’s Role in Providing Trauma-Informed Care
- Recognizes and responds to the effects of trauma.
- Infuses awareness and knowledge into the culture and policies of the school.
- Works with the appropriate stakeholders to promote recovery and resilience.
- Promotes a welcoming climate and creates an environment that avoids re-traumatization.
- Focuses on building relationships between students and school staff.
- Uses a balanced restorative justice approach to conflict.